What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Paris Tabernacle in Paris Idaho

The Paris Tabernacle in Paris, Idaho was finished in 1888 and dedicated in 1889.  It would have been dedicated the year before but an oil lamp caused a fire with significant damage so the dedication was delayed.  It was dedicated September 15m 1889 by Wilford Woodruff, President of the church.  He was accompanied by his counselor George Q. Cannon.  The tabernacle could hold 3000 people.  It is still used for stake conferences two times a year.  It is also used for graduations and special musical performances.  It is open for tours daily during the summer.  Architect was Joseph Don Carlos Young, son of Brigham Young.  Builders were local pioneers under supervision of William Budge and Thomas C. Lowe.  The floor is slanted, providing good seats through out.  Master carpenter James Collings SR. had been a shipbuilder.  Consequently the ceiling has the appearance of an inverted ship.

In 1893 a hand pumped organ was installed.  However this was replaced in 1928 by a 629 pipe organ, an Austin Pipe organ from Connecticut.  There is extensive hardware used in the building and many decorative features.


The roof is made like the hull of a ship upside down.

organ and circular ceiling


intricate hardware


above the entry



James Collings Sr. paid for and ordered from back east and shipped in barrels of molasses.

This hole connected a heater for warmth.  There are five of these holes.



Made of sandstone.  The overhand on columns is to prevent erosion, as is the heavy mortar.


mill stones


Charles C. Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment