What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Light the World Day 16 2017: Clothe the naked

"[I was] naked, and ye clothed me."



My great-great grandfather came with the Martin handcart company.  While on the trek he was shoeless.  I don't know if he started this way, but he may have.  It could also be that the journey took its toll on his shoes.  He was one of those who left bloody footprints.  I said an internal prayer that he might find some shoes.  One day, along the trail he did just that, found some shoes that had been discarded.  they weren't a perfect fit, but Grandfather was thankful for them all the same.
When the rescuers sent supplies, this included clothing, and shoes.  It must have been that someone received a new pair of shoes, and left the old pair behind, which became grandfather's shoes.  There were also petticoats, and other items of clothing in a wagon that had been sent to the rescuers.  In the cold weather, they pioneers were thankful, and needing of anything they could find.  
I have been moved by the simple story of Heber J. Grant when he was a boy.  His mother had sewn him a new coat; but he didn't have it long.  This short film shoes the story without words.
May we find ways to clothe the naked this Christmas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment