What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ethics and Striking

As the Union moves closer and closer to a strike.  Last I heard, negotiations did not take place last weekend as promised.  County administrators said they would be negotiating all weekend, but because the Union had voted to authorize a strike, the county negotiators all left in protest.  Makes them seem a bit juvenile, but then maybe they are with their unwillingness to negotiate a fair deal, after devastating the SEIU members the last six years with take aways, while always giving better contracts to other unions.
Anyway, I came across something else to consider.  I was finishing my CEU ethics course on line, and came across this bit about ethics and labor issues:
Mental Health practitioners are generally allowed to engage in organized action, including the formation and participation in labor unions, to improve services to clients and working conditions.  When involved in a dispute, job action or strike, workers should carefully weigh the possible impact on clients and be guided by their profession's ethical values and principals prior to taking action.
Now I have to ferret out what that means and how it applies to my situation.  Is the Callcenter a position that has to be manned at all costs.  It seems like it is.  We cannot not be there for a caller in crisis.  Also people need to access services (if they are not closed because of a strike.  Something to think about and pray about.  I;m still praying something will give to improve our prospects.  I really do not want to strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment