What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Friday, August 2, 2013

ACE Train 38: Be Aware of Your Environment

By Ace Train I mean my entire trip from home to work, most of which is on the ACE Train.  However there is also the ride to the train station, light rail and bus to get to work.
The message that comes over the speaker regularly at the train station is, “Be Aware of Your Environment.”  I have been thinking about my journey home from work, and which parts of the trip are the most hazardous.  I have decided the most hazardous place is the intersection at Bascom and Fruitdale.  There are a couple of things that make this intersection dangerous.  The most prominent is everyone driving there is in a hurry to go some place and ignores the pedestrians.  Coming to work, cross Bascom, the walk light coincides with the green like for cars.  You have to really be watching because when that light turns green, people don’t pay attention to the people in the side walk.  However it is just as dangerous going home, crossing Fruitdale.  Here the traffic traveling down Fruitdale is often driving at break neck speed as the light turns red, trying to beat the traffic that will be coming on Bascom.  They forget to pay attention to the people crossing Fruitdale as the walk light coincides with their red light.  I have almost gotten hit this way.  In trying to beat the Bascom traffic, usually not stopping, it puts the pedestrian again at danger.  
There is another cause for concern at this intersection.  There was a murder at this intersection about a year ago.  The corners of the intersection have has a 7-11, the hospital and McDonalds and three of the four corners.  The McDonalds is often a gathering spot for interesting people.  There is a homeless woman also on the side walk seeking donations.  I guess her turf was challenged by a younger man, you chased her off, and made like he was going to hit her.  She left her stuff and ran into the McDonalds.  I observed this from across the street, waiting for the buss.  I guess he wanted to take over the spot.  I was tempted to call 911.
It wasn’t but a few minutes later that he came over to pan-handle the people in the bus line.  I being an idiot said, “I wouldn’t give you anything because I don’t like the way you treated that woman across the street.”  He thought about that a second, and then wanted to challenge me, saying I should watch what I say.  I couldn’t get on the bus fast enough, but I didn’t respond to the guy again.  On the bus I did call 911 and report the guy.
SO today I was comparing bus stops, and there is actually a closer one, it just is sooner on the route so I have to get there faster.  However for my safety, I think I am going to abandon the Bascom/Fruitdale stop, at least in the evening.  It is always gross and dirty anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment