What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Santa Clara County Strike Looming

A few years ago, Arnold Schwarzeneger took on the public unions in California, and lost.  Now the conflict between my union and my bosses has me scared.  The members of the union voted for a strike next week, if things do not improve in contract negotiations.  We have been working past our contract since July 1.  Sheri and I live paycheck to paycheck.  We are not like some who have large amounts of savings put away.  A strike, even for a short period of time would be devastating.  But that threat looms over our head. 
My only hope is prayer.  Prayer has been holding us up.  I pray for overtime, and it seems to come just in time to make the next pay check.  Prayer is a remarkable thing.  So I will pray that some county manager will see the worth of what I do, and offer a fair contract.  They have offered a raise, but taking back more than they offer in medical insurance payments and additional payment towards retirement.  This when the county is doing OK.  The last time we negotiated, we too furlough, and less vacation days.  It is time that sacrifice is recognized, as well as the service we provide.  I work hard, and help thousands of people each year (about a hundred every week.)  We have had to do more with less for many months, and still we get the slap in the face.  Out county administrators in the past have always negotiated our contract first, and then give better deals to management, doctors and nurses.  It is time the focus on line staff and a fair contract.  Just my thoughts anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment