What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Member Missionary 4: Pray for Missionary Opportunities: Elder M. Russel Ballard

http://bcove.me/34xm8m2q
Elder M. Russel Ballard: Put Your Trust in the Lord

http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/a-new-vision
Hastening the work of salvation

I felt this talk was inspired.  He adds an important step to Elder Wardle's model of being a member missionary, pray for missionary experiences.  Following are excerpts from this discourse.

We need to work together in partnership with our 80,000 missionaries now serving.

We ... know that many members hesitate to do missionary work and share the gospel for two basic reasons.
  1. The first one is fear. Many members do not even pray for opportunities to share the gospel, fearing that they might receive divine promptings to do something they think they are not capable of doing.
  2. The second reason is misunderstanding of what missionary work is.
 Brothers and sisters, fear will be replaced with faith and confidence when members and the full-time missionaries kneel in prayer and ask the Lord to bless them with missionary opportunities.

While the outcome is a result of the exercise of one’s agency, sharing the gospel is our responsibility.

Preach My Gospel reminds all of us that “nothing happens in missionary work until [we] find someone to teach.  Talk with as many people as you can each day. It is natural to be somewhat apprehensive about talking to people, but you can pray for the faith and strength to be more bold in opening your mouth to proclaim the restored gospel”

The key is that you be inspired of God, that you ask Him for direction and then go and do as the Spirit prompts you.

 I want to have missionary experiences.  I am committing to pray for them, and hope you will join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment