What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Adoption Discussion 9: Suicide: Something to be Aware of

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/11/adopted-teens-may-be-at-higher-risk-suicide/

Fox news sides presented this story.  It sides two studies, one in Sweden and the other in the U.S. with mostly foreign, Asian adopted children; who as teens show a statistical great likelihood to be at risk for suicide.  The U.S. study said there was a greater chance for suicide attempts, not completed suicides.  The other study, may not apply to our adoption stories. 
Then the story down plays the findings, saying they may not actually apply to American adoption.  However it also states that the things which may apply is the genetic predispositions towards substance abuse or to other conditions which may increase the likelihood for suicide.
The other risk factor is the possibility of trauma before a child is placed with the adoptive family.  This may also be a factor which could increase the risk of suicide as a teenager.  Nationwide, suicide is the third leading cause of death among teenager.  Nationwide there are 4600 teens suicides annually in America.
Suicide hotline, 1*855*275*7204  Santa Clara County
National Hotline  1*800*273*8255

No comments:

Post a Comment