What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mormon Movie Review: The First Vision

The First Vision was produced at BYU in 1976.  The first time  I saw this movie was at the LTM (now MTC) the first day they were there.  The showed the film for new missionaries and their families.  I was so impressed.  The movie has such a spirit, and spirit of truthfulness.  My mission president always reminded us that this is a true story, and because it is true, it has a tremendous impact on the world. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5UA78MT44Y
movie on You Tube

The first vision is a historical reenactment.  It shows the conditions around Palmyra in 1820.  There was a great agitation about religion.  Joseph Smith, a boy of 14, was confused about what to do--which of the churches should he join.  In this confusion he was reading the Bible, and read in James chapter 1 verse 5: If any of ye lack wisdom let him ask of God which giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not, and it shall be given him; but let him ask in faith, nothing wavering.  In Joseph Smith's words no scripture had ever entered the heart of a man with such force.  He pondered on this question, and then determined that he must but this test to the test, he must ask God what he should do.
As he had determined he went to a grove close to his home in the morning of a clear Spring day. As he prayed, Joseph said, in his own words, I saw a pillar of light above me in the air, which descended out of heaven until it rested just above me.  There were two personages in the light.  One of them pointed to the other and said, this is my beloved son, hear him.  When Joseph recovered himself, he asked which church should he join.  He was told to join none of them.  Joseph ends with the statement from his history.  I had seen a light.  I knew and God knew it and I could not deny it.  I believe this is a true history of events.  Joseph Smith was a true prophet.

No comments:

Post a Comment