What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Doctrine and Covenants Section 121: My Favorite Scripture

The conclusion to Doctrine and Covenants is so powerful.  I think it is restating the blessing from the oath and covenant of the priesthood, in a shortened version.  This scripture was given through revelation while Joseph Smith was in Liberty jail.  I once visited Liberty Jail, and to think such beautiful scripture came out of such a miserable experience left me wondering.  I had to find a seat while I shed tears of gratitude.  This blog talks of the origin of much of the Doctrine and Covenants, including this scripture:  http://bwardlehistory.blogspot.com/2013/09/mormon-historical-movie-heavens-are-open.html
This section has just talked about raising our children in righteousness, and cautions against the unjust use of priesthood or patriarchal responsibilities:
  41 No apower or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the bpriesthood, only by cpersuasion, by dlong-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;
 42 By akindness, and pure bknowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the csoul without dhypocrisy, and without eguile
 43 aReproving betimes with bsharpness, when cmoved upon by the Holy Ghost; and then showing forth afterwards an increase of dlove toward him whom thou hast reproved, lest he esteem thee to be his enemy;
 44 That he may know that thy faithfulness is stronger than the cords of adeath.

But the best is the conclusion.  As you read these blessings, you get a glimpse of  what eternal life means, of the blessings in store:
 45 Let thy abowels also be full of charity towards all men, and to the household of faith, and let bvirtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly; then shall thy cconfidence wax strong in the dpresence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the edews from heaven.
 46 The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant acompanion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of brighteousness and truth; and thy cdominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.
I would be willing to do anything within my power, which is righteous to have the Hold Ghost as a constant companion, to be confident in the presence of God, to have a scepter of righteousness and truth, and to have everlasting dominion which flows unto without compulsory mean forever and ever.  These words are beautiful, and bring peace to my heart.  This is true scripture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment