What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Life in Manteca 95: Communtiy Service Day

Manteca Stake Community Service Day

I hate painting, but I signed up to participate in the community service day, and our ward was headed to French Camp to paint the Haven of Peace Shelter, and do other repairs as needed.  I grumbled to myself all Friday evening, why did I sign up?  I am going to be sick.  But Saturday morning I pealed myself out of bed, and I went and joined in the fun.  I thought for sure there must be something I can do so I do not have to paint, but in the end, that is what I did mostly was paint.  We painted the office.  First there was the job of taping and covering everything.  That took more than the first hour.  There was also some Spackle work, but not too much.  I was putting down plastic, and someone from another ward who is actually a painter said paper was needed, so as to cut down and carrying paint on your shoes, so we papered the floor.  Then came the paint.  We started with the ceiling, with some really big rollers.  It was hard to tell where you had been, but if you went over where you had been it pulled off the layer of paint you had just done.  It was hard getting it all done.
Then we did the walls, using the same rollers--a big mistake.  The rollers brought the cottage cheese texture onto the walls, we had to wipe it all off.  Then we got new rollers, and discovered the actual paint was polluted with the cottage cheese things, so I had to get them all off the new roller, and get another tray for paint, then we were set to go.  Turns out a second coat was needed.  I had had enough however, and went outside and shoveled some dirt and then called it a day.  That painting can be pretty hard work.
Then we took the boys to Home Depot.  I watched the boys, while Sheri checked out sheds.  We are at the point where we need to do something different with the garden tools, and until we do our garage is a hopeless case.  So sometime this week, they are gong to deliver a shed that we will have to put together.  When that is done, then we can clean the garage to where you can get in without putting your life in danger.

No comments:

Post a Comment