What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Handcart Trek Announced for Manteca Stake

At the missionary fireside last night, a handcart trek was announced for Manteca Stake for July of 2015.  I am very excited.  I have never been involved in a handcart trek; and of course I don't know if I will be actually involved in this one.  This is a youth trek, 14-18 with about 150 adult volunteers involved.  SO I hope to be one of the 150.
I like to think of this as Isaac, as he helped bury many pioneers
My head is very full of handcart stories.  This is from studying my ancestors.  Isaac Wardle and Mary Ashton, as well as Mary's family were in the Martin Handcart Company.  Mary's younger sister passed away while the ship Horizon was anchored at Boston harbor.  She is buried in an unknown grave in Boston.  Mary's mother passed away close to Winter's Quarters in Nebraska.  The newborn baby only lived a couple of weeks, and was buried close to the Babbitt grave site.  The Babbitt company had been attacked by Indians.  Her father left the company, and joined the infantry at Fort Laramie.  He would complete his five year duty with the army, was released from Benicia, and returned to England, to later immigrate to America.  Finally, her older sister, froze her feet at the last crossing of the Platte River.  She passed away shortly after.  Mary, and her sister Sarah survived the  trek, and were taken in by families in Salt Lake.  Mary would become Isaac's second wife.
Isaac's parents and younger brother immigrated with the Robinson Company in 1860.
Of course there a thousand more stories associated with the handcarts companies. 
This is a depiction of Mary and Sarah by Julie Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment