What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Member Missionary 6: Our Responsibility

http://billywardlegen.blogspot.com/2013/10/three-missionary-letters-to-isaac-from.html
As I transcribed some correspondence between a member and my great-great grandfather when he was serving a mission in England, the member reporting on his efforts, it got me thinking about the history of member missionary efforts.  From the earliest days of the church, growth came by introducing friends and family to the missionaries. Here are a couple quotes from today's Sunday school lesson:
President Gordon B. Hinckley said: “My brethren and sisters, we can let the missionaries try to do it alone, or we can help them. If they do it alone, they will knock on doors day after day and the harvest will be meager. Or as members we can assist them in finding and teaching investigators” (“Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep,” Ensign, May 1999, 107).
http://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2010-07-074-those-warned-must-warn-others?category=doctrine-and-covenants/section-85-section-119&&lang=eng
President Kimball also said: “Our great need, and our great calling, is to bring to the people of this world the candle of understanding to light their way out of obscurity and darkness and into the joy, peace, and truths of the gospel. I believe we must not weary in our well-doing. I believe it is time again to ask ourselves the question, what can I do to help take the gospel to others and to the inhabitants of the world?” (“Are We Doing All We Can?” Ensign, Feb. 1983, 5).
There is great joy in sharing the gospel, true there is a little fear, but if we step out with faith, God will send angels to assist, and He will be on our right hand and our left hand.
I wish you great peace and joy in touching the hearts of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment