What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Friday, December 30, 2016

Book Review: Outliers: The Story of Success


Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell, Back Bay Books, New York, 2008.

What things go into making someone successful?  This book offers a different take of this question.
This is a different positive thinking book than any I have found.  The bottom line of this book is that the reasons for someone to be successful can be illusive; however he did say 10,000 hours is key.  Those who have become successful have spent 10,000 hours perfecting what they do, whether it is computers, or a sport, or music, or lawyering.  It takes time for those success thoughts to rise to the top.  However it says sometimes the thing that gives us those hours can be by chance, the year we were born, the month you were born, your way of getting experience etc.  It also sounds like he takes President Obama's opinion, "You didn't build that."  So in the end, I don't know what to think of this book.  Although the story of the Beatles and Bill Gates were very interesting.  I also like the bit about the Chinese and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment