What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Lisa Project: Child Abuse Presentation in Manteca During June

http://www.thelisaproject.org/Main.html

I noticed a mobile unit on the corner of Union and W Atherton, in the shopping center, just off the 120. It got my curiosity up, so I drove by a couple nights, and then would try to remember the web address and see what was up.  I finally found the right web address and discovered it is an exhibit about child abuse in San Joaquin County.

So having been a foster care worker, and child protection worker, and having been a foster parent, I decided to go check it out.  You are given Ipods to enjoy the sound.  Lisa is the narrator, and tells her story, as well as the stories of several other children.  I am not going to relay the details, as I think everyone will identify with one of the stories more than the others.

There is one room that presents news articles and stories on the wall.  I didn't have enough time to read them all, but they are all local stories, and includes the story of a murder of a child not yet one in Lathrop.  The docents are very nice and well informed.  They provided information on CASA Child Appointed Special Advocates.  Also provided information on how to report abuse.  The cycle of abuse is scary, and the stories present several stories of this cycle--victim to abuser.

My great-great grandfather was a victim of Child Labor.  He starting working at the age of seven in the coal mines in England.  The work of children should be play, not work.  I wouldn't say I was abused, but I know my father and his sister were.  Grandpa had difficulty maintaining his pride during the depression and years of unemployment.  He took that stress out on some of his children.  There was one incident in which my father hit my mother, but we were mostly grown then.

Abuse, child and spousal, like most things, could be presented on a continuum from no abuse to controlling to neglect to physical/sexual violence to death.  It is interesting that in this country there were laws for the protection of animals before child abuse laws.  The first child abuse cases where based on these laws to stop the abuse of animals.

That balance, between parental rights, and protection of children is something that I still see.  When and under what criteria does the state intervene, and how does this relate to parental rights?  When do you consider the "best interests of the child?"  Is foster care the answer?  Most children would rather be with their birth parents, and that often plays into their attitudes towards foster care.   Sometimes foster care may not be the right answer.

But one thing that is certain abuse of children should stop.  This starts with a report to proper authority, and then they can decide the best way to intervene, whether the allegations are unfounded, or in-home supportive services, or removal of the child.  There is more than one option.

I pointed out to the docents that most states have mandated reporting for all citizens with regards to child abuse.  California only applies mandated reporting to certain professions (mine being one.)  But even if it is not mandated, we all have an obligation to protect children.  Perhaps we can be someone's rescuer.

No comments:

Post a Comment