What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

"I am like a bone being pulled by two dogs, I am like a leaf blowing in the wind."

I heard these two statements someone used to describe himself.  I have been wondering if they are saying the same thing, or if they are opposites.  A leaf floating on the wind gives the impression of a peaceful type of experience (unless of course the wind is blowing too fast like a tornado.)  On the other hand, being a bone and having two dogs fighting over you does not sound fun at all, nor peaceful.  I have watched two dogs fighting over a bone.  The dog with the bone will growl under its breath while not letting go of the bone.  If it does let the bone go to bark, the other dog will swoop in and grab the bone and quickly run to a peaceful place to take its turn at the bone.  Whatever way the thing goes, the bone is getting chewed until its all chewed up.

On the other hand, even though the leaf may be going with the flow, it is dependent on the direction of the wind as to where it goes. 

So how about "I am like a the rudder of a ship."  This implies that not only do you determine your destiny, but you also influence the destinies of all those on the ship.

If you have a better metaphor, please share by using the comments button.

No comments:

Post a Comment