What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Life in Manteca 13: Family History Center; a Place for Genealogy

I enjoy spending time in the family history centers, trying to learn new things about my ancestors.  The thing I am trying to work on now is the exact circumstances of the death of Joseph Wardle, My great great great uncle.  The rest of the family emigrated to Utah, but he did not.

The resources for family research are available through the Family History Centers.  The history centers have computers and microfilm readers. There are also volunteers who staff the library, who can help with questions.  Behind them, which are available for a small fee, are the resources of the entire church genealogy library.  I don't know how many millions of records this represents, but I know it is a lot.  I currently have a film with the old church records from Ravenstone, where Joseph likely lived when he died.  I have found records of Wardles, including the sister of my great-great-great grandfather.

I also realized their are several centers close to where I live, with different schedules.  Our center in Manteca 6060 E Northland Rd is open 9-1 m-w, 6-9 t-w and Sunday, and 9-12 Saturday.  However there are a couple of other history centers close by.  Tracy, 1981 Chester Dr  has a similar schedule 6-9, t w su and w h 9-1.  Stockton, 800 W Brookside, is only open Tuesday and Wednesday, but it is open all day t w 10-9.  Thee are two centers in Modesto.  The closer, 4300 Dale rd is open t-th 10-1 and 6-8:30.  The other,731 El Vista Ave is open same days 10-1 but in the evening 6:30-9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment