What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I live in the Town of Butter

I wrote a blog last week that Manteca is a sugar town. But now I am realizing that Manteca was a butter town before it was a sugar town.  In 1917 when the town was incorporated, the name of Manteca was chosen in honor of the history of the creamery.  I am not sure why, being a Spanish speaker, I hadn't realized that every time I said Manteca I was saying butter in Spanish.  I guess the accent hid it from me.  It is pronounced differently in  English than Spanish, and the local way of pronouncing is the English with the tea sound instead of the tay sound.  The creamery existed from 1896 to 1965.  You can read about the creamery in the Manteca Bulletin archives.
http://www.mantecabulletin.com/archives/10243/

You can read about the sugar history of Manteca here
http://bwardlehistory.blogspot.com/2011/06/manteca-is-sugar-town.html

1 comment:

  1. Literally Manteca is lard (butter 2nd definition), mantequilla is butter. However the founders chose mantequilla as the name, but the train company with manteca for the station and wouldn't change it.

    ReplyDelete