What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Colm Wilkinson vs. any other Valjean

It seems.in theater, some roles define a person.  Colm Wilkinson was the Jean Valjean original cast for English theater.  He defined the role, and made it his.  There is nothing more beautiful than listening to his rendition of "Bring Him Home" from the 19 year reunion concert.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFbsZu7ZN7A
It defines the character.  President Monson quoted part of this song in conference.  Does that make it scripture?  I love this song, and have listened to it over and over.

There is a question as to which actor is best playing the part, and I think Wilkinson must be considered.  Alfie Boe does an admirable job in the 25-ear concert.  But he is compared to the original, which is not really fair.

I have watched Colm Wilkinson in other performances on You Tube, and nothing is as nice as his performance in Les Miserables.  He has been the Phantom, and portrayed other roles, but he is defined by one role.  I am not saying he does not provide a good performance, but one performance is bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment