What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Member Misionary 11: Of April McMurtrey's 81 Ideas for Missionary Work I Pick 28.

April McMurtrey in her blog: Something to Shout About offered 81 missionary opportunity ideas.  Here are the ones I am picking.  If you want to see them all go here:http://www.somethingtoshoutabout.org/baskin-robbins-step-aside/
The underlined is April's idea and then my reaction.  I have picked 28 of April's ideas to start with.

  • Bear your testimony to your family.  This is a goal for next FHE.  We are studying Preach My Gospel.
  • Read the book, “The Power of Everyday Missionaries”, by Clay Christensen.  I made Miranda download it on my I-Pad so I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped to me.  The missionaries have talked to us about Mormon Lingo game, and I want to study it just a bit more before I venture.
  • Pray for new areas to be opened up for missionary work.  We can all pray, and don't forget to pray for missionary opportunities as per the missionaries as well.
  • If the phone rings during Family Home Evening – invite them over! I can do that.
  • Add your “I’m a Mormon” profile to the many listed at Mormon.orgI have one there, but it needs a better picture.
  • Post Mormon Messages, your testimony, or other inspirational thoughts on Facebook.  An ongoing process.
  •  Discuss your Sunday worship experiences with your friends and coworkers, then invite them to “Come and see!”   I think this is part of the Mormon Lingo game.
  • Keep a Book of Mormon, Ensign or other church material where others may see it and inquire.  Too easy but important to do.  This is part of the Mormon Lingo idea.
  • Consistently add new people to your “real” friends list. Let them see how the gospel can bless families.  Friends are good.
  • Prayerfully study ‘Preach My Gospel’ and the scriptures. (You are a missionary too!)  As mentioned, our FHE study; but we also do something from the Friend for Tony
  • Place baptism invitations in with your 8-year old’s birthday party invitations.  Something to think about for Tony next year.
  • Invite others to join your ward choir, basketball team, or other activities.  OK, I can handle this one.
  • Invite others to join you in service projects.  And this one.  Helping Hands coming up.
  • Pray and read the scriptures as a family – even (especially) when their friends are there.  Don't usually have people over, but a good idea.  We are together for dinner which would be a good time for a scripture.
  • Use “church words” in your everyday conversations. (Make it a point to let everyone who knows you – know you are a Mormon.)  Ah, Mormon Lingo Game
  • Lovingly seek out those on your visiting or home teaching routes who need you.  That word lovingly I need to review in my attitude.
  • Share the new “Introduction to Mormons” videos now on lds.org, on your social media networks or privately.  Good idea.
  • Invite the missionaries over for dinner, then ask them who they are teaching and how you can help. Give them referrals when they ask.  An extension is to pray for who they are teaching.
  • Make a prayer list with the missionaries.
  • Give the DVD, “Lamb of God” to friends and neighbors for Easter.  It is coming next month.
  • Be a good neighbor.
  • When someone asks, “Are you a Mormon?” Reply with another question, “Yes! Why do you ask?”  An opening to invite people to come and see.
  • Develop a family mission plan.  Something Sheri and I have talked about.
  • Fast for missionary experiences and then actively seek them out.   I have been praying, not fasting.
  • Recommend good blogs, written by lds members, to your friends.  That is what I am doing.
  • Invite people to hear your children speak or sing in sacrament meeting.  I like the kids to do things, so I can invite.
  • Invite people to your child’s baby blessing or baptism.  I think we covered this one above, sort of.
  • Get to know the recent converts in your ward. Become their friends.  I can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment