What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Old Testament: Joseph of Egypt

The last two weeks for Sunday School we have examined the Life of Joseph.  Here is a man who had much trial, but that trial lead to great blessings for his family.  He was despised of his brothers, and they intended to kill him, but instead sold him into slavery.  In Egypt God prospered him, but because he did not give in to temptation from Potiphar's wife, he was sent to prison.  There again he prospered.  He interpreted the dream of the baker and the butler.  The butler, who was restored to his position, forgot to mention Joseph to others so he might be rescued from prison.  He anguished two long years more, until Pharoah had a dream.  Joseph was called upon to interpret, and as a result became the second only to Pharoah in all the land.  Also, because of the dream they planned, and were prepared for the coming years of famine.  Egypt prospered, as did Joseph.  When his family came to buy corn, he was in a position to save his family.
His life exemplifies the poem "The Weaver". 


My life is but a weaving
Between my Lord and me,
I cannot choose the colors
He worketh steadily.  [He knows what they should be]

Oftimes He weaveth sorrow,
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I, the underside.

Not till the loom in silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the Weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.

- Author Unknown

 
The enclosed films deal mostly with sexual fidelity.  These are the films linked through the lesson manual online. 
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2012-08-2340-these-things-are-an-abomination?category=book-of-mormon/alma-helaman&&lang=eng
These Things are an Abomination: deals with the question of why to remain pure sexually

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2010-12-0150-within-bounds?category=topics/standards&&lang=eng
Within Bounds comparing skiing to sexual purity

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2009-01-03-come-what-may-and-love-it?category=mormon-messages/mormon-messages-2009&&lang=eng
"Come What May, and Love It" Joseph B. Wirthlin


https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-03-032-joseph-in-egypt?category=old-testament/introduction-deuteronomy&&lang=eng
"Joseph in Egypt" President Benson

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostles/unto-all-the-world/i-will-not-fail-thee-nor-forsake-thee?lang=eng
"I Will Not Fail Thee Nor Forsake Thee" President Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment