What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Christmas Carols: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel

Please see The Carols We Love: The "Story Behind the Story of Twenty-two Classic Christmas Carols, Daniel Partner, Barbour Publishing, Uhrichsville, OH, 2002.
The Piano Guys have a very nice version of this song.  This song was first written in Latin in about 1200.  It was sung in monasteries for vespers as part of advent.  It has five verses, but each verse calling the Lord by a different name, imploring him to come.  The names are: Emmanuel (God with us), our Wisdom from on high, Our Lord of might, Rod of Jesse's stem, Key of David, Dayspring from on high and Desire of nations.  In using these different names, it points to different aspects of the Savior, who is God, who gives wisdom and shows the way, who is the descendent of Jesse and David, and holds the key to the kingdom of God, he chases the darkness away, and we yearn to come onto Him.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment