What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mal Educado--Bad Manners

I take public transportation to and from work.  When I first took the bus, and train I lived in Argentina, and there was a decorum to the way you treated others.  Often the buses, called Colectivos, were crowded.  If there was a parent with child, you gave up your seat.  If there was someone elderly,you gave up your seat.  If there was a woman, your gave up your seat.  There was an understood hierarchy. If you didn't follow this understood practice, you were a mal educado.

I have noticed that people in the U.S. have not learn these basic rules of decency.  In fact, everyone seems to be doing their best to make sure no one sits beside them.  Most buses have two seats to a row.  People will put their bag on the seat, or sit on the outside so a new passenger has to crawl over them.  On the train it is funny to watch some passengers take not only the seat next to them, but also one across from them.  Sometimes on the light rail, the bench seats which are for three people, are taken by one person lying down.  I try to ignore people poor manners.

On the light rail the other day, a couple with a child in stroller boarded the light rail.  I tried to give them my seat by standing up.  You don't always signal to them because that can cause embarrassment.  Anyway, a young man quickly sat down there before they had a chance.  I travel with a bunch of rude people.  Of course not all fit in this group, but many do.  There are those who stand giving others the opportunity to sit.  Today, my faith was actually restored to a degree.  A young woman stood up, and provided her seat to an older woman.  I felt good seeing that there are young people who do understand.  I just wish there were more.

No comments:

Post a Comment