What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, January 21, 2016

In Performance: Gentri and Lexi Walker Christmas Concert

I was looking for Lexi Walker music on You Tube and come across this Christmas concert I missed on BYUTV.  (This link should work for a time, but I notice BYUTV sometimes takes them down.)  This is really terrific.  It features Gentri, a Mormon oriented trio, and Lexi Walker.  There is also the American HeritageYouth Chorus.  Lexi Walker's voice is crisp and pure as ever, and Gentri sings melody intermingled with great harmony.  They go back and forth flawlessly.  It was presented at Snow College with the chamber orchestra and chorus from Snow College.  They sing mostly old favorites, sometimes with a new twist.  Such as Gentri combining "I Wonder as I Wander" and "What Child Is This."  "The guitar work for "I Saw Three Ships" is truly marvelous as the guitar provided percussion as well as cords.  Lexi Walker sing "Le Divin Enfant" a French Christmas song.  It has plenty of energy and catchy melody.  Lexi Walker looks like a Christmas ornament throughout this concert.  She has many costume changes.  Gentri does "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" which is their signature song for this concert, Gentri equals Gentlemen's trio.  There is a nice interlude of children's songs which Walker sings with the youth choir.  Gentri provides a haunting version of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel."  The music is peppered with comments and discussion between Walker and Gentri.  "Still, Still, Still" is Walker's turn to sing a haunting, powerful song.  Walker also sings a new song to me, "A Merry Christmas to Me."  The final number is "Joy to the World." It is a combined number, and very moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment