What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Christmas Music Review: The Mormon tabernacle Choir: This Is Christmas (1994)

I love the way the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sounds.  This is a 1994 production.  They leave the traditional version of some of their songs.  My thought is that for "O Come All Ye Faithful" doesn't work, while "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with its different versions from Nutcracker to big band to Sousaesque, etc seems to work somehow and entertains, even though it is almost 12 minutes long.  Other highlight are a medley of Lullaby Carols and a medley of Bell Carols.  Other songs of note include "Tambourine Noel."  This song is mostly singing Noel with the tambourines.  "Away in a Manger" is very well done, with a counter melody in the orchestra which is very effective.  Mack Willberg is the arranger of this William J. Kirkpatrick tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment