What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Three Missionary Farewell Talks and a Baptism in One Day

Caleb is not here this week, so it becomes my job to report on all the missionary goodbyes he is missing today.  There were two in our ward, Clayton Williams and Phillip Herrera as well as one in the Ripon Ward, Ben Tolman.  I must admit I skipped part of priesthood meeting to go and listen in.
In our ward the theme was covenants.  Clayton after given and overview of covenants through our lives, focused on the baptismal covenant.  He told a cute story of his own baptism, and having to be baptized twice because his toe came up.  I guess that is embarrassing when you are eight.  However he gave a good idea of the obligations we take upon ourselves at baptism, commiting to help those who stand in need and being willing to witness for Jesus in whatever circumstance we might be in.
Phillip focused on the oath and covenant of the priesthood.  He read to us from D&C 4, the list of things which qualify us for the work.  And faith, hope, charity and love, with and eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.  
Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience,  brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.
He focused on faith from that point.
Ben talked more on choices and free agency.  All three missionaries expressed gratitude for those who had helped them get to the point where they are leaving on missions.
A couple weeks ago we had a returning missionary speak, Elder Joe Ekland.  He also talked about covenants, with a focus on missionary work.  He indicated it isn't hard to ask some one if they would like to see a presentation about our religion.
This pm I went back to the church for a baptism.  The missionaries have been teaching Darrin Williams and he was baptized today.  Caleb had visited him with the missionaries, and I express his desire to have been there. 
It was a very beautiful service.  Sister Smith played for Sister Ward.  They sang "I know my Redeemer Lives" but to the music for "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief."  Sister Dees visited from Oak Grove where she is now serving.  There were lots of visitors.  I talked with grandmother, and she set up a date to visit with the missionaries.  Another young lady was also there who has been investigating, as well as Darring

No comments:

Post a Comment