What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Mormon Movie Review: The Prodigal Son

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnqdE06UaQ4

The Prodigal Son is a movie produced by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1991.  Many organizations help open houses that year to introduce the video.  This video tells the story of three men, father and two sons.  (It is based on the traditional Bible story, but has a modern setting.)  The younger brother has been away for some time, pursuing a life of sin.  During this time his mother passes away.  He finally hits bottom, gets into rehab, and starts to turn his life around.  His older brother goes to get him, but knowing the type of person his brother is he hardly talks to him on the ride home.
This is a movie of forgiveness, and forgiving.  Sometimes we begrudge forgiving.  I like the theme of the movie, reminding us that we all come up short and need the Savior as our redeemer.  He died for all of us, equally.  There is no good in trying to determine who is the greater sinner.  His atonement is for all.  His atonement can overcome our personal pride, we have to turn our hearts to Him.
I really like this movie.  My only complaint is the men are so handsome, it almost makes it so I can't relate.  However the theme is timeless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment