What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Movie Review: ****^The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

This is a 1962 John Ford movie featuring John Wayne as Tom Doniphan, the gun slinging hardened westerner and James Stewart as Ransom Stoddard the green horn lawyer.  They meet early on after Doniphan brings Stoddard in after he is beaten by Liberty Valance (Lee Marvin) and left to die after a coach robbery. Valance does not like the law or lawyers.  Valance continues to carry a grudge against Stoddard.  Doniphan has to step in again.  However when the ranchers hire him to keep the sodbusters from making the territory a state, with more law.  Stoddard, and the news editor are voted as delegates. Valance beats the news editor.  He challenges Stoddard to a gun duel.  The gun duel doesn't turn out like he wants.  So on the reputation, Stoddard wins the governorship, but is he the man who shot Liberty Valance, and can he live with himself.
This show has lots to like.  Vera Miles is terrific about the girl Doniphan likes, but who marries Stoddard in the end.  Wayne and Stewart are both superb in their roles.  Marvin is so evil, and his side kick, played by Strother Martin has an evil laugh.  The only thing I didn't like was Wayne looking macho by smoking.  We now know cigarettes killed him in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment