What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Mormon Movie: ****^Silent Night, Christian Vuissa

This movie is more than a film about the writing and first performance of "Silent Night."  Although it does tell this story.  Joseph Mohr is the assistant priest, however the priest is often away as he attends to a larger church.  This movie is about the priest Joseph Mohr (Carsten Clemens) and his overcoming bitterness which might result from his work, and loving people, but watching them die.  He supports a singe mother, and her sick son.  In his illness he reads the poem he has written, "Silent Night" to him, and he takes comfort from the words.  Mohr organizes a choir from among local citizens, many of whom do not attend church.  They sing in German, which is not right according to the lead priest, who arranges for the transfer of Joseph Mohr.  Joseph Mohr, asks the parish organist, Franz Gruber (Markus von Lingen),  to write a special Christmas song.  However this work bogs down as the parish organ stops working, and Joseph is too involved int he writing and offends the organist.  Joseph determines to give up move to a different parish, and let his bitterness over take him.  However he is confronted by the mother of the boy who passed away.  She reminds him how he loved the poem, and asks that he not let her son's death be for nothing.  With renewed faith, he takes the poem to Franz Christmas Eve, asking him to set it to music for Christmas Eve Mass.  He takes his guitar with him.  The choir is invited to sing the last stanza of each verse, and Franz and Joseph sing the song as a duet.  I like this movie because of the internal struggle of the priest, who makes a decision not to become as the older head priest, who is bitter and cynical.  It is good to be reminded that our attitude, to a great extent is a choice, despite our circumstances.  I also liked the portrayal of a young woman, who likes to sing, and becomes so enthused at one point she things with the choir.  I guess choirs were all male at that time and this causes a scandal.  I often am overcome with the desire to sing myself, and sometimes getting in trouble singing too much.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention, this movie is now available through BYUTV

    ReplyDelete