What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Life in Manteca 18: Big League Dreams

http://manteca.bigleaguedreams.com/park-information
I knew I was getting home before everyone else, as they had gone to the beech, so I took advantage and visited Big League Dreams.  There is a lot happening there.  There are six fields, and all were busy with softball games.  Some were coed and others were more competitive.  It seemed most of the games had lopsided scores, except for a couple.  In the short time I watched and saw a couple great snags of line drives, one at third base, and the other by the pitcher.  I also noted that the rules for softball had changed, particularly with regards to pitching.  There was a big box he had to be within, but no longer had to be in contact with the rubber, no longer had to make a step forward.  It was interesting. 

There is also indoor soccer.  Young women were playing, and I must admit the games were more intense and exciting.  The game I watched, I caught just before halftime with a goal being scored and putting the yellow team up 3-1.  However the second half, the blue team, with more team skill, mounted a comeback.  I was sitting by the keeper for the yellow team, and it was fascinating to see them work together.  They finally tied the game5-5 on a breakaway, which seemed to come out of no where.  The yellow team mounted an attack, and scored a goal, just one second after the end of game buzzer sounded.  Final score 5-5.  It was entertaining.

I visited all the ball diamonds.  If you are going to play someplace, it might as well be on a replica field as any other.  The replicas are: Fenway, Wrigley, Angel, Polo Grounds, Yankee and Tiger.  One thing I did notice was the fields had artificial surface, the dirt part as well as the grass.  The fences seemed way back, and nobody hit one over the fence home run.  However one person hit the fence, and made an inside-the-park home run.




Admission is $3, and includes a $1 token that can be used at the snack shack (there are two, each surrounded by three diamonds.)  They are a bit pricey.  Not major league prices, but definitely at least minor league prices.  I had to try the fries, in my efforts to find the best fries in town.  They were natural cut fries, and with my token, the price was bearable.  I would rate them about with Wendy's.  They had a ketchup dispenser, and you could get all the ketchup you wanted, not little packets.

I had a fun evening, and since I like ball, I will probably be back.  I was left with the question, is their an old fart league for players not very good, but who want a shot at that in-door soccer field.

No comments:

Post a Comment