What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

ACE Train 9: Del Monte

http://www.historysanjose.org/cannerylife/through-the-years/1917-1966/cal-pak/plant-number-3.html
Across the street from The Diridon Station, the last stop for the Ace Train is where Del Monte use to be.  I go on with the light rail which goes right behind the new housing complex.  The cannery closed for good in 1999.  What once was the "Valley of Hearts Delight" because the of the many fruit blossoms, was no Silicon Valley, with the only orchards now a few trees in the back yard, or municipal orchards for memory's sake.
The factory has a special place for me, because my dad, while in the Nave, and awaiting assignment was at Camp Shoemaker, in Dublin.  They use to bring Navy boys down in buses to work the factory.  I discovered from my dad's letters, that he was among the crowd who came by bus to work in the fruit, usually the graveyard shift.  My father was always trying to do a little more.  He had plans to have a farm, which takes money.
I walked by to take pictures, the light rail goes to fast


When we moved to San Jose, the factory was still intact, and in fact running as it closed in 1999.  However by the time I inherited my dad's letters, and got through them, the old factory had been knocked down, giving way to a housing development.  There are a few places where the old wall has been lift, to provide shade and a historical backdrop.  The water tower is also still in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment