What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, July 18, 2011

A few items from yesterday's Sunday School lesson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTuiupCmAHk&NR=1
 I wanted to give the link to the video "To This End Was I Born."  It is actually in three parts, but one part should lead to the next.  This version is longer than the version in the video used in class.  It expecially shows more of the interaction between Jesus and Pilot. 
However the part of the lesson, that has left me pondering, is the quotation from President Hinckley.  He was talking about Peter.  Peter, the rock, was not always a rock.  Though earlier that day Peter had verbalized his willingness to stand by Jesus: 
 33Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be aoffended.
 34Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
 35Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples. (Matthew 26)
Yet Peter wavered, and denied the Lord., three times.
75And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt adeny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

It is worth repeating the words of President Gordon B. Hinckley:
“My heart goes out to Peter. So many of us are so much like him. We pledge our loyalty; we affirm our determination to be of good courage; we declare, sometimes even publicly, that come what may we will do the right thing, that we will stand for the right cause, that we will be true to ourselves and to others.
“Then the pressures begin to build. Sometimes these are social pressures. Sometimes they are personal appetites. Sometimes they are false ambitions. There is a weakening of the will. There is a softening of discipline. There is capitulation. And then there is remorse, followed by self-accusation and bitter tears of regret. …
“… If there be those throughout the Church who by word or act have denied the faith, I pray that you may draw comfort and resolution from the example of Peter, who, though he had walked daily with Jesus, in an hour of extremity momentarily denied the Lord and also the testimony which he carried in his own heart. But he rose above this and became a mighty defender and a powerful advocate. So, too, there is a way for any person to turn about and add his or her strength and faith to the strength and faith of others in building the kingdom of God” (“And Peter Went Out and Wept Bitterly,” Ensign, Mar. 1995, 2–4, 6).
I hope we all have the humility to recognize the need and have the strength to pick ourselves up and turn ourselves around, when we do recognize he need.

No comments:

Post a Comment