What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mr. Aron for Teacher of the Decade

sorry, the pictures are from other concerts, but we had no camera last night
The Spring music concert is always a fun evening at Cupertino High School, and this year was no different.  The four choirs take part in a non formal entertainment, dawning costumes and dance steps.  They perform to recorded music without the voice track.  Two of me girls, Miranda and Charity, and I atended.  Caleb also wanted to be there, but had commitments he couldn't break, including his first official date.

The beginning women's choir, Cantible,  got things started.  Their soloist were very good.  They sang a set from Hairspray.  My only complaint is their costuming.  If they were singing songs from the 60s they should have dressed more modestly than they did.  Their costumes distracted from their music.

I must say the Men's Chorale (largest class at Cupertino High School) stole the show.  The sang a series of "Old and New Pop."  Their dance numbers were the cutest.  There was one choir member, whole wowed the crowd with his butt shaking.  It was very fun.  But the best part of their set was when they turned serious and melancholy with a two song set from, "Plain White Tee's."  The sang "Hey there Delilah" and "1-2-3-4."  I was totally convinced that each of those young men had a love someplace in the world they were singing to.  This is a stretch for me, but I even enjoyed the rap song they sang, "Billionaire."

We were pleased to hear a quintet not in the program sing, "Send it On."  The vocalist did a very good job and it was very pleasing to listen to.  They projected well, and it seemed a present for the graduating seniors.
 
The advanced women's choir, Cantos, sang a set of songs which had been part of "Glee."   They too sang a more mellow song, "Like a Prayer," which was very moving.  The dancing was most enjoyable for a Madonna song, "Vogue."  The young women were really in character.  The used glow sticks effectively for their last number, "Firework."  When they spun the lights in circles it created an eerie effect.

Capella did a set from "Grease."  They of course had the best vocals, singing more intricate harmonies, and reaching the farthest.  Their men's only and women's only pieces :Hopelessly Devoted" and "Greased Lightning" were not my favorite.  Their set was slowed up with too many costume changes, and too much dialogue (to facilitate the costume changes.)  The singing and dance moves for "Hand Jive" were very intricate and entertaining.  Their last number, "We go Together," was also very good.  It had lots of energy and lots of intricate vocals.


The evening included tributes and honoring of the seniors.  Had we not moved, Miranda would have been on stage and honored as a four-year senior.

The evening then ended with a traditional song for Mr Aron, "Seasons of Love" from Rent.  My girls, Charity and Miranda, who were with me, sang with the choir.  It was fun to watch as many of the choir members were in tear and could not sing.

It was a bitter sweet moment for me.  This is the first choir concert that Mr. Aron conducted at Cupertino that I did not have a child in the game.  If I am not mistaken, that is eleven years.  Natalia was already in the choir when Mr. Aron took over.  In fact, she sang many solos her senior year, and received the first vocal music award Mr. Aron gave out at he school.  There have been four concerts every year, Debut, Winter, Classical and Spring.  There have been other performances such as baccalaureate and graduation.  That means I have attended close to 50 concerts,with my children singing.  This was the first without, and it felt different.

The evening then ended with the choir members chanting, Mr. Aron, Mr. Aron, Mr Aron... as a tribute.  It is amazing how a good man, doing his best, can influence for good so many people.  Mr. Aron has had hundreds of students each year, and I know most of them will say they are better people for the experience.

The past decade has been fun.  I know, having choir as a place of refuge, has kept my children going to school, and even enjoying it at times.  Miranda, as we drove away, talked about how choir was a life saver for her.  I so I say, "Mr. Aron for teacher of the decade." 

No comments:

Post a Comment