What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Life in Manteca #4: At the movies, 2 restaurant reviews etc.

This weekend was busy.  It was highlighted by Miranda's return after three weeks away with her sister in Idaho.  Tony, Sheri and I went to pick her up.  We checked out the *** Deseret Industries (Mormon thrift store in Sacrament) on our way to the airport.  It was a fun exploration, but we really didn't have enough time.  Their pricing was strange, some things seemed over priced, and some things were very good bargains.

Sunday was especially enjoyable with fast and testimony meeting, and Stake Priesthood meeting.  Sheri made Navajo Tacos, and invited the Larsens over.  We watched ***** "Enchanted" with them, but had to leave before it was over.  Now that is a great movie.  They do the theme of a Disney Princess in New York so well.  The song "How does she Know" keeps everyone bouncing and is a favorite.

Friday night I decided to take myself to the movie, **** "Red Riding Hood."  Sheri goes to bed before I was able to go.  It was playing at the $3 theater.  I enjoyed this ride.  The leading characters, and their relationships is very nice.  The intrigue of figuring out who is the werewolf is very well done.  The artistic work with the red against the snow is also very eerie.  I recommend this movie, and it is one with the scenery that would be better seen in the movie theater.

I took Tony to see ** "Rango."  Caleb and Alyssa also went with us.  I had to go out for potty break and missed a bit.  I could never figure out how Rango determined where the water had gone.  However Alyssa and Caleb didn't know either.  So the movie was either too complicated to follow, there was a plot error, or Alyssa and Caleb had their mind on something other than the move.  The claim it was no the latter.  The action of the movie was enjoyable, but didn't keep Tony entertained throughout.

I forgot to write a review for a movie which I saw as part of a double date with Mark and Dianna.   *** "Unknown" starred Liam Neeson and he carried the film.  He has a way about expressing trouble and confusion.  He was in an accident, and in a comma, and when coming out remembers his name and wife, except she has another husband.  I remember thinking this might be another Bourne Identity about half-way through the movie, and then forgetting about this.  However that is what it ends up being.  The action is great, and the explosion is shocking.  The evening was funner than the movie, as we went to McDonalds and talked for some time.  That is always fun.

Sheri and I left Tony in the care of Caleb and Alyssa (and the Larsens) and went out to eat.  We went the the ****^ Kelly Brothers Brewing Company or Brickyard Oven Restaurant.  They have a Chinese oven (I guess something like the oven in he "Seven Brothers" book.)  In this oven meat is slowly toasted.  We had the sampler for two.  It included two slices of about five different kinds of meat-- pork, turkey, ribs, chicken, and tri-tip--with three types of barbecue sauce.  We had the side of vegetables and potatoes.  Vegetables were very yummy, orange and yellow carrots, snow peas and broccoli (Sheri ate the broccoli.)  A very fun lunch.  The restaurant is in the old El Rey Theater which burned in 1977 after the final showing of "Towering Inferno."  It has been renovated nicely.  It also housed items with regards to the history of Manteca.

Sheri frequented Little Caesars Friday night for dinner.  This was a common occurrence in Cupertino.  However the Caesars in Manteca is more expensive and not quite as good.  The bread sticks were all stuck together.  I didn't eat much, maybe because of the big potluck at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment