What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Organic Milk; What does that Mean?

http://www.mealsmatter.org/EatingForHealth/Topics/Healthy-Living-Articles/Organic-Milk.aspx

I was getting milk today, it was in a new carton, red for whole milk, but it was actually reduced fat milk--ORGANIC.  So I thought to myself, what makes this milk organic?  Is it like not synthetic, because regular milk is not synthetic.  I asked a coworker and learned that it means the cows do not eat hay which has had chemical fertilizers on it.  Another coworker pitched in letting me know the cows have no hormonesinjected into them, nor do they eat meat which might put them at risk for mad cow disease.  

I explored the website above, which verified this, but also indicated that if the cows get sick, they might not be treated with certain medicines to keep the name organic.  So organic cows might mean sick cows.  Also organic cows have to have so much time in open pasture and in the sun to be organic.  I guess that puts them at greater risk of eating weeds or poisonous plants which might not be good for me.

The article indicates that in the end, the milk in the U.S. is safe whether organic or not, and is basically the same, because of the rigid safety guidelines.

So in the end the label organic, with regards to milk, is to be able to charge a bit more, and maybe sell more to someone who worries about such things.  It does not have much to do with the quality of the milk.

1 comment:

  1. The organic milk was Charity's which she had left in our fridge. She thought it cost her a couple dollars more than regular milk.

    ReplyDelete