What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Loss Via Automobile Accident

 I read in the Deseret News Website that this past weekend eight people have died on Utah roads.  Most of these accidents are weather related.  It must have been a terrible storm with icy conditions. 




Two of those who passed away were the children of Jace and Teri Ferguson, friends of ours.  They were seven and ten, Bridger and M'gwire.  The family previously lived in California while Jace, their father, was going to school.  They have been living in Cache Valley for the past 10 years.  As my mother lives in Logan, and my youngest, Caleb was good friends with the older brother of these two; we stopped by and saw them a couple times while on visits to the area.  However, we had lost touch over the past few years, the family had moved to Mendon from Logan which was a bit farther away from my mother’s home.  One of their daughter’s is a Facebook friend.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865566722/4A-high-school-football-Brotherly-love-inspires-Mountain-Crest-fullback-Gaje-Ferguson.html?pg=2
added 11/14/12
 
I am so torn over automobile accidents that take children before their time.  It really isn’t fair.  My wife’s brother lost a son, Joel, a few years ago.  He was riding his bike when struck by a car.  They seemed so strong at the time, but even so I think they carry some of the pain from this tragedy.  It is especially evident in the siblings who were close to their brother.

Last year, my brother lost his youngest son, Trevor, to a car accident.  I know he is also still in pain, as are his children and his wife.  These types of wounds take a long time to heal. 

And so yesterday, when I heard of this tragedy, I felt for the parents and the siblings.  How do you overcome such a thing?  The older sister was driving when the care spun out of control on the ice, slid into oncoming traffic, and then was hit.  The rear of the car was destroyed, and the brothers in the back seat were killed.  The driver and sister survived with injuries, while the driver of the other vehicle was also injured. 

My worry is that the emotional injuries will last much longer than the physical injuries;  that the loss will be felt intensely, especially during the Holiday season. 

When I was at the funeral for Sheri’s nephew Joel, these words came to my mind—the beginning of a poem I have never dared finish.

On thing I would never want to be;
Is the guest of honor at a funary
Celebration.

The guest of honor at a funeral, are the other family members who survive.  They are the ones who carry the pain and the regret.  It is so hard to let go.

People leaving this world, are ushered into a better place.  Those left behind deal with the loss, missing their loved one until they are reunited.

My prayers are with the Fergusons who lost their boys, Bridger and M'Gwire.  I also pray for my brother’s family, and Sheri’s brother’s family who have also gone through losses.

1 comment:

  1. Billy, the outpouring of love that has been demonstrated is amazing. And I don't think that it is because it's Christmas... people can and are like this all the year long... I posted on facebook how special my experience as a cemetery sexton was with Jace and Teri... i told them that there are unforeseen blessings behind every tragedy and that the cemetery fees that I was quoting to them would never be a worry for them... Today at work I got a emotional phone call from a business owner from Logan... The fees have been paid in full... Angels among us come in many ways. Thanks Billy for sharing your blog... My life has been changed in the most positive way this experience. Merry Christmas to you and yours... Eric Bowen

    ReplyDelete