What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Life in Manteca 126: California Drought: Drink Less Water!?

Saturday morning (7/25) I started early while the weather was still cool and Tony and I hedged the lawn with the shovel.  We cut back all the grass that is overgrowing the driveway.  Now hopefully we can stay ahead of it with the electric trimmer.  Also trimmed the bushy flower out front, mom swept and Miranda mowed.  The lawn looks better than it has since we moved in, although it has many draught caused yellow spots.  We are only allowed to water three nights a week, Sunday, Wednesday, Friday.  If you miss you night you do't get to make it up.  We are doing our part because of the draught.  I see the signs on the freeway that say “serious draught, use less water;” I always think “Drink less water.”  It is pretty serious.  



If you look at the news the effects are obvious, farmers have less land under irrigation, the central valley is sinking as more ground water is used, the reservoirs are empty, the rivers are lower.  There is worry trees will start falling over.  There is a heightened alert about wildfires.  There is pressure to remove lawns and replace them with rock gardens, or plants that don't use much water.  Lawns are yellow throughout the state.  A yellow lawn is a badge of honor.  The only people prospering are those who put in fake lawns or are painting existing lawns green.  (Some people actually do that.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment