What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Ox Ride at Nauvoo

We went for the ox ride at Nauvoo this year.  It was a short and sweat ride.  However, Caleb is good friends with Elder Orme who is a veterinarian and was at the ox ride.  He and his wife attended church in Burlington where Caleb was serving, just a few miles north of Nauvoo.  I also discovered he is a descendant from a Martin handcart company pioneer as my great great grandparents, and great great great grandparents.  What is more interesting is his ancestor is from Whitwick Branch, which was also the branch of the Wardles as well as the Baileys.
An ox is any cow that is trained to do work.  They are most often steers, but bulls and cows can also be trained.  A critical features is that the animal has horns.  This is because when they are yoked, and going down hill, the yoke will slip over the head of the ox as the wagon has a tendency to go faster than the ox downhill.  We visited the ox ride with Elizabeth (Sheri's sister) and their family.  Her granddaughter was funny as she would say go and wanted the ox to go around again.


 I have been searching for a religious principle based on the horns of the ox.  What I have come up with is the horns represent our own testimony.  It is important for are testimonies to be strong to help us through rough times, but maybe more important to help us through easy times, when we want to go faster than we are able, or want to pursue worldly gain rather than staying  focused on Jesus Christ.




Elder Orme







No comments:

Post a Comment