What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Life in Manteca 113: Meet the Mormons, restaurant review.

I am home alone for a few days while Sheri is off to Utah for a wedding, and to see the new grandson.  She has Charity, Camberly and Anthony with her.  Thursday night I went to Carl's Jr. for a change.  I think sit down restaurant would be awkward by myself;  so went to the upscale fast-food place.  I had a Big Carl.  I don't want to think of how many calories. (920, I looked it up)   It was OK with two patties and hamburger sauce and cheese.  I had a small fry and a milk.  I think their fries may be the best in town.  They were very good. 
Last night to the movies for the opening of Meet the Mormons.  I was so moved.  I went to the late show 10 p.m. at the AMC close to home.  Even so, it was well attended. I could have gone earlier, but wanted to avoid the crowds and the rush.  I just took it easy at home, but went over with plenty of time to get a good seat.  I like to sit in front so I can see.
This, for me was a memorable experience.  I knew I was going to cry; and I did, when they told the story of the missionary and his mother who sent him.  However, there were other parts of the film that were very moving.  The bishop's boys were funny, the relationship between the coach and his children was also humorous.  The story of the kick-boxing mother was very moving as well.  I also enjoyed the humanitarian story.  The Candy Bomber story brought me to tears.  Service is such a key part of our existence, and part of what we are about.  We are often looking for ways to serve. 
Then the story of the mother of a missionary.  This was not your typical Mormon story.  She was a convert, and her son was born to her when she was only 16.  She never married the father.  He left, but they did get back together in time for her to become pregnant again.  This time he left for good, and her new baby passed away shortly after being born.  She when through a time of feeling God had forgotten her.  However, at her lowest point, someone reached out to her.  She joined the church, picked up her roots and moved to Utah.  There she started a new life, and eventually a new family.
The farewell of Anthony, their son, was very moving.  All his younger siblings were getting hugs and crying.
This part moved me the most, because it is hard to send your children on missions.   We have two Caleb and Miranda serving now.  I miss them.  I have noticed I have been very emotional, especially since Miranda left.  I don't know why I am more sensitive with her being gone than my sons (Jeremy served a few years ago); but I am.  Both Caleb and Miranda write of positive experiences, which is good.  I think they are growing.  I already posted their comments about this movie.
I ran into Rhiannon Archibald from Tracy.  She is Caleb's friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment