What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Conserving Water: California Drought Continues

These are some notes and my reaction to an email from Jill Boone.  The idea is to find something to conserve water, we are in a world of hurt right now if something doesn't change. 
 
AT HOME
Most households can do more than 20%! Make sure that your irrigation is minimal and focused on the plants that need it. Or put in a grey water system that will use the water from your washing machine to water your landscape. Take shorter showers. Collect water that normally goes down the drain – when you wash vegetables, for instance – and use that to keep your plants alive or flush the toilet. 

I had neer heard of a grey water system, and my first thought was gray water would be toilet water.  I am glad it is not.  However we already have one of those low water washers.  However the idea of collecting sink water to use in the toilet, and shorter showers, may provide some water savings.  
 
AT WORK
If you notice overly enthusiastic sprinklers on County landscaping, please send an email to Joanne at Joanne.yee@faf.sccgov.org (This is for VMC not general public.  However you should report water waste.)  or let your facility manager know. Please be specific as to which sprinkler is broken, so we can find it. The County gardeners have reduced watering to a bare minimum, but sprinklers still can be broken or redirected and cause problems. We count on you to be our eyes at all County sites!
Also, please report any restroom fixtures that are not working properly – toilets that run on or flush independently or sinks that do not turn off easily.
Thank your custodian for using our new microfiber green cleaning equipment, which reduces water usage by 1/3 while getting bathrooms cleaner!
 
FOR YOUR DEPARTMENT – SOME FUN (always good to have fun!)
Have a potluck and share home water bills – with prizes or acknowledgement for the lowest users. (See if anyone can beat my personal 5 CCF*/month usage for a SFH and three adults!) Let the low users talk about how they have managed this. This will also give everyone a sense of what is possible, create a discussion on the drought, raise awareness for the large users (even if they don’t share) and help everyone to save money as well as water. I think you will be surprised at what a wide range of usage there is among houses. 
Any reason to have a potluck is good.  I don't think I would share my water bill however.
 
Interested? Check the Drought Watch page occasionally for updates:   http://www.valleywater.org/Drought2014/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment