What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Life in Manteca 33: concert review, two movie reviews restaurant review.

This is a review of the past couple weeks.  Sheri and I went on a Saturday dinner date to ***Denny's.   This is not the Denny's we would frequent when the kids were young.  They had the $1.99 grand breakfast which was more than a feast.  Now I think the same meal is $9.99.  It was one of the few restaurants we could afford to take the family back in those days--at least the only sit-down restaurant.  The kids thought they were in hog heaven.  As for the Denny's of today, which is on Main street and 120 in Manteca.  It has grown up somewhat, but still has some of the old traits.  Sheri had steak and shrimp   I insisted she get he shrimp so I could eat it.  It was the shrimp cocktail kind, grilled on a stick.  Sheri;s steak was excellent, I finished it off the next day for lunch.  I had a patty melt, which I feel is one of my favorite sandwiches.  It didn't pass the calorie test from their enclosed calorie brochure.  I only ate half, so as to save a few calories.  Caleb ate the other half for dinner.  Denny's is an old favorite, and we will probably frequent there again.


Last Friday we had the privilege of attending the *****Gladys Knight Saints Unified Voices Choir.  All I can say, if you ever have a chance of attending this concert, it is a must see.  The music is Gospel rather than traditional Mormon music, but is and enjoyable evening all the same.  We attended with our neighbors.  "Jesus Loves Me" was a favorite.  Also the solo by a choir member "Via Dolorosa."  which reminds us that Jesus went all the way down the road to Calvary.  Gladys Knight with the choir sang "Blessed Assurance."  They also sang a song about not putting off until tomorrow what we should be doing today, as tomorrow may be too late. I last time I saw them Gladys Knight sang "I am a Child of God."  I missed that song in this program.  The highlight of the program was the testimonies.  A brother told the history of the restoration of the Church.  Gladys Knight told her story, starting by letting the audience know we are all brothers and sister. 
http://inthedoghouse.hubpages.com/hub/Gladys-Knight--Lost-the-Pips-But-Gained-The-Saints-Unified-Voices
http://www.suvchoir.org/

***Puss In Boots  We went a date knight to the movies.  Miranda and Tony went to see "Chipwrecked", and I went to Puss In Boots. Tony wanted Miranda for a date, and I didn't look forward to the high note singing, so was good with seeing a different movie.  Both movies were at the $3 Marketplace Theater.  So as for "Puss In Boots"--this movie had betrayal, love and villains.  The cat dancing was the thing that most made it unique.  However over all I found it just above so-so.  The mother goose and baby goose were fun.  The city Puss was defending, and his loss honor, which was restored in the sight of the people, but not in the sight of the law.  The movie also added the usual twists on common nursery rhymes. 

****Chipwrecked  As I mentioned above I did not see this movie.  My four star rating is based on Tony's reaction.  He came out of the movie talking about the stories and having really enjoyed himself.  He talked about the chipmunks all fighting over the food on the island. He also liked the slide on the boat.  He liked the songs.  "Firework" is one of his favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment