What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Nephi's Psalm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CcvtoZ6Ra0


"I Love the Lord" John S. Tanner
I love the Lord. In him my soul delights.
Upon his word, I ponder day and night.
He's heard my cry, brought visions to my sleep,
And kept me safe o'er deserts and the deep.
He's filled my heart with his consuming love,
And borne me high on wings of his great dove.

Yet oft I groan,"O wretched man am I!"
My flesh is weak and I'm encompassed by
A world of sin, which holds me in its thrall,
If I give in and to temptations fall.
Then strength grows slack, I waste in sorrow's vale.
My peace destroyed, my enemies prevail.

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.
Rejoice, my heart! And let me praise again
The Lord my God, who is my rock and stay
To keep me strict upon his straight, plain way.
O let me shake at the first sight of sin
And thus escape my foes without and in.

 I love the Lord. In him my soul delights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r3_mhDvFEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaod4mqf1FY

Three links dealing with Nephi's Psalm.   The first is a song sung by BYU Men's Choir, the second a reading of the psalm, and the third is linked to a verbal essay on the psalm.  Nephi's Psalm is found in 2 Nephi 4 15-35.  In this psalm, Nephi bares his soul.  It is so interesting to ovserve that Nephi was aware of his own failings and his own sins.  17) " O wretched man that I am."  But he responds with such faith.  19) "I know in whom I have put my trust."  And then Nephi takes five verses to list his blessings from the Lord:  (20-25) 
 20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh. 
 22 He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.
 23 Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.
 24 And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.
 25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them.

His admonition to himself, is also a call to us.  "Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul."  Awake and rejoice, this is a call to all of us.  Nephi finishes his psalm with a prayer, in which he commits to continue putting his trust in God and not the arms of men.  

It is my prayer that I can away, and do better, and rejoice in the redemption of God's grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment