What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, February 10, 2014

We Got Caught in a Blizzard

I have been to Boise two times over the past couple months and have concluded they have terrible weather.  We went for Buffy's funeral.  We were expecting to his some bad weather over the Sierra's, but luckily someone put on the chains for us, and we made it over the top, losing less than an our.  North of Winnemuca things were going well, however when we hit Oregon, the roads were icey, but not too bad.  I traveled a bit slower, keeping the tires in the dry spot without ice.  We even made it up a steep incline coming out of a river valley.  We made it to Jordan Valley in pretty good time, but between there and the Boise we hit a blizzard.  It was terrible.  The snow was coming at us making it hard to see, and then the wipers got ice on them so they wouldn't clean the windshield like the should.  I would look through the crack they gave me, until I couldn't see anymore and we would have to stop and clean them off.  We had to do this several times.  A couple times Sheri jumped out and did it, and a couple times we both did.  The border was the worse, because the trucks turned around there, and left snow on the road, which I mistook for the snow at the edge of the road.  I decided to put on the chains, but it was too cold for me to get them on, so we slowly went down the hill facing the same conditions.  We were going about 20, and seemed to slowly make our way out of the bad weather.  We finally got out of the storm, but then turned onto the 55 for Boise, which hadn't been cleared at all.  At lease the snow had turned to rain, but it was a terrible last three hours (which should have been one).
I remember thinking, God, we have to get through safe as the kids are home and need their parents.  I wouldn't want to traumatize the kids with our demise before our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment