What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Family Outing to Knight's Ferry


Presidents Day we took advantage of the day off, and took a day trip to Knight's Ferry.  This is an interesting area historically because when the gold rush started, William Knight set up a ferry in the area to help people cross the Stanislaus River on their way to the Sierras and the gold fields.  The ferry later gave way to the covered bridge, which serviced the area until 1981 when it was deemed unsafe for vehicular crossings.  There are now two alternate bridges in the area, one in town and another on the










120 104 highway.  We saw the bridge, (330 feet) climbed rocks, climbed trees (Tony) and took a short walk.  We visited the visitor center which is mostly a nature center.  There is also an old mill next to the bridge.  We went into the oldest continuously running general store in America (since 1852) and went into a creamery with the building just as old for ice cream.  We drove up the hill, and there was a camel and a zebra at someone's farm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment