What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Music Review: Mormon Tabernacle Choir Pioneer Day Concert 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147iWpAAdYg
The first part of this concert was a bit forgettable, but then it got good.  Or better said, it wasn't very pioneerish.  I was waiting for the pioneer day songs, but I must admit it got good before the pioneer songs.  This concert had two special guests, both BYU graduates, Lindsey Stirling, violinist and dancer, and Nathan Pacheco, pop and opera singer.  The choir sang a couple songs from different musicals, and a couple songs from "Secret Garden."  "Hold On" was very well done, and familiar from the kids experiences:
When you see the storm is coming
See the lightning part the skies
It's too late to run
There's terror in your eyes
What you do then is remembered
This old thing you heard me say
"It's the storm, not you
That's bound to blow away"
Hold on
Hold on to someone standing by
Hold on
Don't even ask how long or why?
Child, hold on to what you know is true
Hold on till you get through
Child, oh child
Hold on

  Pacheco sings Don't Cry, a song he helped write:

Don't cry, don't cry though hope seems gone! 
Don't cry, this battle still can be won! 
And all these tears
That blind and cloud your days
Will fall to the ground.
Your heavy fears will fade away.
Hold on, until the journey's end
Hold on, this broken heart too will end.
Reach out, I'll come and take your hand
One day, your darkest seas will lead to promise land.

Hold on, let it pass you by
Hold on, don't quit
You've got the angels by your side.
Your heart is strong enough
To see this battle won, 
Your faith will make the morning come.

Don't cry, I'll see this journey through! 
Don't cry, I'll cross the storms to find you! 
And carry you home, 
To never go away
To rest from the storm
And find the joy that passes healing to the bay

Hold on, let it pass you by
Hold on, don't quit
You've got the angels by your side.
Your heart is strong enough
To see this battle won, 
Your faith will make the morning come
Your faith will bring the rising sun.
 Symphonie
Stirling is this young woman bouncing around the stage as she plays violin.  She played one song as tribute to her grandfather as tribute to him. 
Pacheco pleasures us with an operatic number from Giacomo Puccini's Turondot.  The music is familiar from the Feature Films Rigoletto.  He explained it is about a forlorn lover who loves the princess, but the princess does not return his love and has sentenced him to death.  This deservedly received stand ovation.  Nesssum Dorma (English translation):

Nobody shall sleep!...
Nobody shall sleep!
Even you, o Princess,
in your cold room,
watch the stars,
that tremble with love and with hope.
But my secret is hidden within me,
my name no one shall know...
No!...No!...
On your mouth I will tell it when the light shines.
And my kiss will dissolve the silence that makes you mine!...
(No one will know his name and we must, alas, die.)
Vanish, o night!
Set, stars! Set, stars!
At dawn, I will win! I will win! I will win!

This was followed by an organ orchestral number from Tocatta Symphonie Concertante for Organ; Joseph Jongen.  I usually crinch at the organ pieces, but this was different, and also received standing ovation. 
This was followed by the choir singing  a coup of the Mack Wilberg arrangments "Come Come Ye Saints" and "They, The Builders of a Nation."  Stirling then played and danced a familiar umber to Mormons "Scotland, The Brave Simple Gifts" which had the tune of "Hail to the Prophet."  The concert concluded with another Mack Wilberg arrangement, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing."  It is a perfect song for an ending:
O to grace how great a debtor 
daily I'm constrained to be! 
Let thy goodness, like a fetter, 
bind my wandering heart to thee. 
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, 
prone to leave the God I love; 
here's my heart, O take and seal it, 
seal it for thy courts above. 
 
I highly recommend this concert.  I think you will find it a pleasurable experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment