What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Manteca Stake Conference

Stake conference last weekend was insightful, spiritual and enjoyable.  Sheri and I attended the temple session, and ran into people from our old ward, the Taylors and Brother Wightman.  There were a few people from our current ward, but it lets me know that I don't know many people in the stake.  We almost filled the large room however, which was fun.  Mark and Dianna (sister) let us tag along with them and people from their ward and we went to the Creamery in Castro Valley.  It was very good, although a pit pricey.  They specialize in ice cream.  Sheri had French dip so-so and I had Philly cheese steak, very nummy.  I also had the baked beans instead of fries.

Saturday evening I sang in the men's choir.  I wish I would have done better, but missed a couple notes.  President Crockett talked about keys, and mentioned the following day with the temple, mission and stake presidents all together, all of the keys of the gospel would be present the next day.  The mission president then mentioned the same thing.

Highlights from the general session--the stake choir did much better, and the songs were really fun.  "Take Time to Be Holy" had the coolest bass part.  This is the first verse which was accapella.
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edit?ns=1&video_id=HcPYQoRhJGI

It is arranged by John Longhurst and the lyrics are written by W.D. Longstaff.  I especially liked the lyrics to the third verse:

Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.

It seems we so often want to do what we want to do, and then ask the Lord to agree.  Sometimes the Lord's ways are not our ways.  We need to be humble, and willing to bend our will to His.  That is often a struggle in life, but in doing so we avoid sin and heartache.

The mission president's wife talked about "Letting Your Light Shine."  She talked about a sister, recently baptized, who was so enthusiastic about sharing her light she had to talk to others about the Gospel.

President Maxfield talked about  Hope.  he quoted a scripture:  1 Thessalonians 5:8  But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.  Paul uses this theme again, but says the helmet of salvation.  Isiah also uses the theme, helmet of salvation as does Joseph Smith.  But Paul in Thessalonians adds the word "hope."  President Maxfield talks about Hope, and how it is hope that protects our mind from discouragement--hope in salvation.

Moroni 7:41  And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise.

There were of course other parts to conference, but these are the thoughts I wish to share.  The Gospel's true, Jesus is our Savior, and through him we can gain the greatest price, that of eternal life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment