What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

C.D. Reviews" **Aida; ***Oscar Hammerstein, the Legacy; ***More Bradway's Greatest Love Songs; ****Carpenters

I  brought these C.D.s hom from the Manteca Library, except Carpenters which Sheri purchased at a gas station for cheap traveling between here and Utah. 

More of Broadway Love Songs is a very nice selection with terrific artists.  My favorite is Donny Osmond and Vanessa Williams singing "Nothings Going to Harm You."  It is a beautiful rendition.  I also enjoyed Mike Ball singing "Love Changes Everything."  This is one of my favorite songs.  There were a couple songs to pass up, which in my mind had nothing to do with Love, "Good old Girls" from The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and "Our Last Summer" from Mama Mia.  Another couple songs I liked, but they missed the mark on love.  The songs I love but they aren't love songs.  "High Flying Adored" form Evita and "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Miserables.

I thought Aida was just too much.  Every song was loud and intense and building.  This musical needed more downtown.  Maybe there was in the actual musical with dialogue, but not on the C.D.

Oscar Hammerstein- The Legacy had some very nice music, and it is incredible the repertoire.  It included songs from Oklahoma State Fair, Show Boat, Carnival, South Pacific,  and others.  It wasn't the Broadway versions, but famous singers.  For me Frank Sinatra singing "Ol Man River" an octave higher just did not cut it.  He also sang "Some Enchanted Evening" which just didn't work.  However his "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" was very nice.  The highlight of the C.D. is the last song, Judy Garland singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone."  This is one of my favorite songs, and Judy Garland is a beautiful singer. 

The Carpenter: The Millenium Collection is very nice.  With Karen Carpenter's voice how could it be otherwise.  It introduced me to some Carpenters songs, if I had heard before, I had forgotten.  I also has them getting down and rocking, which is fun, but also pulling back and letting Karen's voice carry the mood.  When the track was getting too serious, it livened things up with"Top of the World."  It has jazzy rendition in "This Masquerade."  One song, to me even sounded country.  This C.D. is a nice mix.  My only issue, is the pictures remind of the Karen Carpenter tragedy.  I look in them and see a gaunt face, wasted by eating issues.  And this is when she was healthy.  We lost a great one that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment