What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pricks (Goads)

Several thing have been pricking me this week (as in Paul kicking against the pricks) and I have been puzzling about them. A goad or a prick was used in old times with animals.  It was a sharp stick which was used to guide an animal the way you wanted it to go.  You would hold it against them, and if they kicked against it, or went the wrong way the stick would stab into the animal.  It was worse if the animal kicked against it.

The biggest goad I have been focused on, is financial.  This past week the union accepted a contract, with 10 furlough days and also paying over two percent more towards retirement.  What this means in the end, is $500 less coming home a month.  I am mad at myself that I have let things get to the point where $500 is a big deal.  Similar to what John Horner went through when he was advised by the prophet to set money aside, but didn't, and finances went belly-up and he lost his farm.  I have been the same way, ignoring the signs, until it is now an uncomfortable situation.

Add to that I read a book by Robert E. Wells, which challenged my lackadaisical attitude with regards to controlling my thoughts.   He reminded me of Boyd K. Packer's advice to hum or sing a favorite hymn.  That our thoughts do not have to be wandering every which way if we choose not to let them.  I am grateful for the reminder, but I still feel the chastisement in his words on the printed page.

Another prick, I no longer want to ignore includes the relationship I have with my children at home.  It seems I turn on the negative much too fast.  I guess that is another thing I can also control, and force myself not to do.  I wonder if singing hymns will help that as well.

Not all is bad.  We had an enjoyable family home evening with a flannel board story for Tony.  Miranda played for singing.  We sang a song from sacrament meeting this week, "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good."  Miranda had never heard it before Sunday, and wanted to sing it again. 

I guess God's advise to Paul, "It is hard to kick against the pricks" applies to all of us.  It is time for me to quit worrying about the faults of others, and focus on my own.  I can control those.

No comments:

Post a Comment