What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Stillborn Births, Conference Talk, and My Thoughts

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/10/because-i-live-ye-shall-live-also?lang=eng&media=video

This is a talk from this last conference.  It was given by Shayne M. Bowen of the seventy.  After teaching of the atonement today, it seems appropriate to me to share this talk.
Sheri and I lost our first baby he was stillborn.  I must admit our experiences were not the same as those of this elder.  I don't want to speak for Sheri, but I don't think I ever felt bitter.  But we have felt the blessings of the atonement in our lives.  It is when the Lord gives you the peace that things will be OK, that you can get on with living your life, with a hope of being an eternal family.  I like his quote from Joseph Smith, “The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again.”
I  have always thought of Billy Boy (as we affectionately named our baby) as one of those blessed, waiting for us on the other side of the veil.  Sometimes I think I can feel his presence.  Sometimes I ask him to help me in my struggles, to be an influence for good with his siblings.
Of course stillborn, is different than passing away in infancy.  This is from an article by Val Greenwood, "The question of whether stillborn children will be resurrected and belong to their parents in the hereafter is really the crux of the matter. This question is, as yet, impossible to answer with certainty. Elder Joseph Fielding Smith wrote that “there is no information given by revelation in regard to the status of stillborn children. However, I will express my personal opinion that we should have hope that these little ones will receive a resurrection and then belong to us.”" (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:280.) Greenwood further states, "Though our knowledge of the plan of salvation does not explain why miscarriages and stillbirths take place, nor what the eternal result will be, we can know with confidence that God, who is the father of all spirits, is merciful and just. We can know also that there is hope. Worthy parents can trust in him and know that they and all his spirit children will—one way or another—receive a just reward for their efforts and sacrifice, perhaps in ways that we do not presently comprehend."

No comments:

Post a Comment