What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Theatrical Event: Ship Brooklyn Entertains

We attended the dress rehearsal with Jeremy's and Charity's families.  Consequently there were many grand babies there.  "Ship Brooklyn: The Musical" presents the history of over 200 Mormons who traveled West aboard the Ship Brooklyn.  It tells of several families aboard the Brooklyn.  It talks about their struggles, including traveling through a hurricane which nearly blew them to Africa, going around Tierra del Fuego, stopping at Juan Fernandez Island and Sandwich Island (Hawaii).  The things that happened at Hawaii included meeting Commodore Stockton, whose intention was to travel to Yerba Buena (San Francisco) and claim it for the United States.  This was the same destination of the Ship Brooklyn.  Among the passengers were a few births, several deaths, and a marriage.  I enjoyed the history.  I felt they could have used more pails when the passengers were all sea sick.  The music was well done, and the small band did a very good job.  My only complaint is that sometimes the dialogue was contrived to introduce songs which effected the continuity of the presentation.  Jeremy designed and built the set with several helpers including myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment