What's In This Blog

I created this blog for my journal. I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In this blog I keep many of the things I come across as a member of the church. I also share my experiences on the ACE Train and getting to work, my experiences in Manteca where we have lived for three years, and other things I think are noticeable.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Stake Conference thoughts, and a few other ideas.

Paul Pieper, of the Quorum of seventy was the visiting general authority at our stake conference.  He talked about having hope in Christ.  He concluded "No one is beyond the reach of Hope in Christ. ...There is brightness of hope in the Savior."  He  mentioned two ways in which Satan tries to destroy our hope in Christ.  The first is by telling us that there is no Christ, or the Christ did not accomplish the atonement.  He talked of Korihor, who represents many anti-Christ people in the Book of Mormon.   "How do ye know of their surety? Behold, ye cannot know of things which ye do not see; therefore ye cannot know that there shall be a Christ."  (Alma 30:15)  Of course this was before Christ's coming, rather than after he has come.  But we have witnesses in the scriptures of his coming.  Still, for many this is not enough.

President Monson said something in this last conference that I have been pondering.  It has to do with receiving truth that is spiritually discerned, rather than intellectually or physically.  I think this is a struggle for many people, as they want to see, and know intellectually, and not have to exercise faith.  These are his words:

"It may appear to you at times that those out in the world are having much more fun than you are. Some of you may feel restricted by the code of conduct to which we in the Church adhere. My brothers and sisters, I declare to you, however, that there is nothing which can bring more joy into our lives or more peace to our souls than the Spirit which can come to us as we follow the Savior and keep the commandments. That Spirit cannot be present at the kinds of activities in which so much of the world participates. The Apostle Paul declared the truth: 'The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.' (1 Corinthians: 14)  The term natural man can refer to any of us if we allow ourselves to be so.  We must be vigilant in a world which has moved so far from that which is spiritual. It is essential that we reject anything that does not conform to our standards, refusing in the process to surrender that which we desire most: eternal life in the kingdom of God. The storms will still beat at our doors from time to time, for they are an inescapable part of our existence in mortality. We, however, will be far better equipped to deal with them, to learn from them, and to overcome them if we have the gospel at our core and the love of the Savior in our hearts. The prophet Isaiah declared, 'The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.'"  (Isaiah 32:17)
http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/stand-in-holy-places?lang=eng

I like the part about things being spiritually discerned.  My father, in his older years, gave up discerning things by the spirit, and decided to rely on his own abilities.    He would not read the Book of Mormon but relied on worldly wisdom.  As a result, he became a bitter man.

I have listened to a C.D. of Jeff Goodrich songs many times, ****"Back to Galilee."  There is one song I have enjoyed particularly called "Beyond the Sun."  Jeff Goodrich talks of his experience of visiting the tomb in Jerusalem, and the feelings he was having.  "From beyond the Sun, beyond the moon; beyond the stars where the galaxies bloom, there come the whispers of heaven, that tell my my Savior lives; He lives."

I know some people would say that these feelings are not real, they are manifestations of ours own desiring.  Or perhaps like Scrooge they would say they are some gastrointestinal action, some undigested undone potato.  Jeff Goodrich also answers this as the song continues.  "From deep in my heart, deep in my soul, deeper than mortal has strength to control, I hear the whispers of heaven, that tell my my Savior lives; He lives"

There are spiritual powers.  They are real, and the testify that Christ lives.  If you have doubt of this, I invite you to read the Book of Mormon, which testifies of Him in written word, and in spirit.

Elder Pieper talked of another way in which we separate ourselves from the hope of Christ.  This is by deciding that we personally are unworthy of receiving his atoning sacrifice.  However if we feel this, we again deny Christ.  While there is no happiness in sin, there is repentance, and the atoning cleansing which comes from Christ  Remember, He has gone below all things, and has paid the price for all, if we accept Him as our Savior.  "...though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.  (Isaiah 1:18)

God lives, and we have hope in Christ.  In this troubled world, we have hope in Christ.  This is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment